Do I Have BDD?
- Are you very concerned about the appearance of some part(s) of your body that you consider unattractive? If so, do these concerns preoccupy you? That is, do you think about them a lot and wish you could think about them less?
(If you answered "NO" to any of the above questions, then you are finished with this questionnaire.)
- Is your main concern with your appearance that you are not thin enough or that you might become too fat?
- What effect has your preoccupation with your appearance had on your life?
- Has your defect(s) caused you a lot of distress, torment, or pain?
- Has it significantly interfered with your social life?
- Has the defect(s) significantly interfered with your school work, your job, or your overall ability to function?
- Are there things you avoid because of your defect(s)?
- Have the lives or normal routines of your family or friends been affected by your defect(s)?
- How much time do you spend thinking about your defect(s) per day on average?
- Less than 1 hour a day
- 1-3 hours a day
- More than 3 hours a day
It is probable that you have Body Dysmorphic Disorder if you answered "YES" to both parts of question 1, "YES" to any of the questions for question 3, and answered "B" or "C" for question 4.
**The Body Dysmorphic Disorder Questionaire (BBDQ) was developed by Dr. Katherine Phillips, author of The Broken Mirror.